Skip to main content

That Night, Before Going to Bed


     The air is filled with an eerie silence at 11:45 PM as my roommate dims the lights so that he can sleep. This is one unusual occurrence, for he is not known to sleep before 2 am every day.  Thankfully it is still the first week of college, and studies are yet to take their toll on us, which is why the early bedtime. This, however, is no inspiring action for me. I’m still glued to my laptop, watching ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’, a movie I always wanted to watch, but didn’t really make it happen, mainly because of its long runtime. However, I find the movie so intriguing that the perfect-for-sleep weather can do nothing to lull me to sleep.

     The movie gets over and I switch my laptop off. Turning around, I find myself staring out the gallery into the dark of the night. Not a bark or a howl can be heard, and while my roommates are still asleep, I step out into the gallery, without slippers, looking out aimlessly. My feet are instantly numbed by the chill from the smooth tiles of the gallery, thanks to not wearing any slippers. I place my hands innocently on the even colder railing, and immediately withdraw them. Damn! It’s cold tonight! It is then that I finally make up my mind to sleep.

     I take a few splashes of icy cold water on my feet just to help me sleep. That’s a habit I’ve inherited from my father! I finally place my glasses on my desk, slip under my super soft black blanket, and find my eyes affixed on the window just opposite mine. Not wearing my glasses has made my vision a little blurred, but I can still notice the inhabitants of that room restlessly being up to something. I wish they turn the lights off!

That's NOT Me! Haha!
     I run my hand on the wall beside me, it is still cold from the weather, I quickly sneak in all my limbs into my blanket.  My mind’s still mirthful owing to the events that transpired that day – a lazy Sunday I made no use of! But as always I’m excited about the following week, at the end of which I’ll be journeying home, something I’ve started to value only recently.

     Holding that thought, I peacefully close my eyes, hoping to see that familiar face smile at me in my dream. The chilly January breeze slowly creeps into my blanket, but I don’t mind. I hold on even tighter to my blanket, and wander into the land of unlimited possibilities, limitless joys, and enviable beauty – Sleep!
Good Night! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Howard Moskowitz and Spaghetti Sauce

     What is happiness? How is it different from the other feelings we get? Why do different things make different people happy in different situations? As for me, enthralling my readers with my writings makes me happy. For you, may be, your favourite dish served hot in front of you makes you happy. Speaking of food, I’m sure you can recollect twirling those long strands of spaghetti in your fork and savouring them with the zesty sauce that comes with it. So what I am going to talk about today is a little different from what I’ve talked about before - the reinvention of spaghetti sauce. This is credited to the famous American market researcher and psychophysicist – Dr. Howard Moskowitz.      A doctorate from Harvard University, Dr. Moskowitz had a consulting business in White Plains, New York, and one of his very first clients was Pepsi, back in the early 70s. This was a time, when the sugar substitute – aspartame was getting increasingly pop...

1995 - Where It All Began

     Victor Khambatta is a dangerous man. More dangerous than his father, Feroze. At only 30 years of age, his demeanour is intimidating. His henchmen have instilled terror in the deepest locales of Mumbai, and extortion, kidnappings and murders run rampant in his name. Even his gangster father fears his audacious moves. But sadly, there is not one strong evidence to put him behind bars. As the city and its protectors grow more and more scared of his power, he grows mightier with every passing day. All hope seems lost, but there are still some of us who refuse to acknowledge his victory, and his clout does not faze our efforts to pin him to the ground and bring him to justice.      The year is 1995. The Anti-Crime Squad of Mumbai, even in times of corruption, and obscurity, is doing its best to ward off Khambatta's activities and foil his attempts to become the uncrowned King of organised crime in the city, which is a part of his grand plan,...

David and Goliath - Demystifying the Myth

     How often do we see small brands, firms and businesses topple some of the oldest, mightiest and seemingly invincible corporations? That is where we often find the phrase ‘David versus Goliath’ used, quite liberally I daresay. David is the underdog taking on the might of Goliath, the giant and finally defeats him, and this is considered as an incredible feat.      For those of you who do not know the famous story of David and Goliath, which dates back to the time when Israel was, a united kingdom in the mountains, and the Philistines (now Palestinians) would try to invade it multiple times. One day, the Philistine army gathered for war against Israel. The two armies faced each other on opposite sides of the steep valley of Elah. A mighty Philistine giant – Goliath, over nine feet tall came out each day for forty days, challenging the Israelis to fight, thereby terrifying Saul, the King of Israel, and the whole army.    ...